111 Day Artistic Spirit Pledge: Spiritual Growth Through Creative Expression
Day 7: The Five Reasons I Enjoy Watching ABC’s Revenge!
In Day 2’s post, I wrote about how television drama series can inspire me on a creative level. They keep my artistic juices flowing and my creativity engaged.
Less than a dozen TV dramas made it onto my list of all-time favorite shows in the past 30 plus years, ABC’s Revenge being one of them. (Stay tuned through the Artistic Spirit Pledge to discover more from that list!)
Click here to read my in-depth review from 2013!
Now in its fourth season, Revenge holds my attention and keeps me glued to my seat all hour-long. Let’s examine why…
- Complex characters: Many of the characters on this serialized TV show make choices driven by intentions both well-meaning and malicious. While their experiences move the story forward, the characters struggle along a path blocked by hurdles that are oftentimes of their own creation. Watching them encounter challenges, face them, and deal with the repercussions (or not, as the case may be) provides the viewers with individuals we can root both for and against.
- Writing that surprises and impresses: Without boring me or trying too hard to be clever, the Revenge writing team continuously leads us on a rollercoaster ride of drama, intrigue, and action. I can’t multi-task while watching, my focus placed squarely on the events unfolding on-screen. I enjoy figuring out how the plot will twist and turn but am just as excited when the story takes a sharp left and I need to pick my jaw up off the floor.
- A little bit of romance: The love lives of Revenge characters most times suffer from a severe lack of love. So when they encounter a relationship built on trust, support, and mutual affection the romantic entanglements are all the more intriguing. Plus, I’m a sucker for a will they/won’t they pairing! Watching to see when “Jack “and “Emily’s” (aka “Amanda”) relationship proceeds past friendship is just one perk of watching each week.
- Family: While many of the romantic pairings are riddled with pain, betrayal, and manipulation, the moments of genuine affection and caring give Revenge its heart. “Victoria’s” actions are continuously defended by her claim of protecting her children, but her love and concern for them is evident – though frequently unhealthy. “Emily’s” love for her father brought her to the Hamptons, but the relationships she’s built over the past three years keep her both grounded and determined.
- Anticipation: In a technology-driven society, we have the capability of watching our favorite shows on our own time schedule; yet there’s something to be said for watching a drama series when it first airs. Building anticipation, promoting discussion, and garnering immediate reaction are not just positives for those involved with the program but those of us who watch it on a regular basis.
For all the reasons listed above and much more, Revenge is the one show I can’t wait to watch each week!
*DISCLAIMER: No endorsement by anyone affiliated with Revenge is implied.*
**I am an Artistic Spirit! For most of my life I’ve used the creative arts as a source of spiritual exploration and healing, even though I didn’t always do so consciously. Sometimes I was the instrument creating the art and other times I was on the receiving end. The connection between art and spirituality is so significant in my life that it’s infused into everything I do. I love music, theatre, television drama series (daytime and primetime), and creative writing and find fulfillment in artistic expression of various sorts: singing, acting, and jewelry design. Throughout the next 105 days, I’ll delve into how all of the above strengthens my spirit and has saved my life on more than one occasion.**