FINAL WEEK: Independence Days
I thought long and hard about what to write about on the final week of the Petals of Appreciation campaign. Given that July 4th is such an important occasion in my beloved country, I figured I SHOULD focus on those who formed this country and the ones who continue to fight for it. However, every time I sat down to put my words of appreciation into a coherent post, I couldn’t adequately express my thanks. So, I decided not to force a “Thank You” post based on perceived expectations; the result is as follows:
- To those who founded the United States of America, who signed our constitution, and battled for independence.
- To those brave men and women who fought to maintain our freedom and those who currently serve in the United States military.
- To the pioneers of social justice – for standing up and making your voice heard amidst anger, confusion, miscommunication, and fear
- To the millions of travelers who left their homeland in search of a new one, my ancestors included among them
- To the peacekeepers, mediators, and hopeful optimists who keep us from becoming immersed in anger, power, control, and fear
- To the small business owners, entrepreneurs, and inventors who help our country thrive with creativity, artistry, perseverance, and confidence
- To those who choose positions of elected leadership despite the stigma, negativity, and assumptions that greet them at each term
- To my fellow citizens who love this country but don’t always like us very much – you make us stronger by opening discussions, prompting respectful discourse, and seeking growth on both an individual and societal level
Though I may not always agree with the choices made by those who represent us, I will always be proud to be an American!