How often do we take the time to say “Thank you”, and “Your work is appreciated”? Who made a positive impact on your life? Did you ever tell that person? Why wait or assume they already know?
As I celebrate the anniversary of my birth this month, I pondered the question that family and friends would frequently ask: “What do you want for your birthday this year?” While there are plenty of material items on my non-existent birthday registry (i.e. screenwriting software, DVD sets of my favorite TV series, and gift certificates to spas and restaurants), what I truly want is for loved ones and strangers alike to join me in the Petals of Appreciation Campaign.
Each week, from now until 30 June 2015, send one Thank You letter to someone who made a positive impact on your life: family member, friend, mentor, teacher, police officer, social justice champion, musician, actor/actress, writer, author…the list goes on.
- Send a Thank You card or hand-written letter via mail (yes, the postal service still exists)
- Tweet, comment on posts, or endorse a prior colleague for their exceptional skills via social media platforms
- Write a blog post and share it on social media. Ask friends and family to help you spread the message.
- Get crafty and make a gift by hand
- Visit a loved one’s gravesite, bring flowers, and say what you always wanted them to know but rarely verbalized
- Donate your time or money to a cause that matters to you or the person who inspired you
These are just some ideas to consider over the next six weeks. I will check in towards the end of each week with an update and would love for you to share your progress.
2 thoughts on “Petals of Appreciation Campaign: Intro”
This is a great idea, I love it! Happy Birthday Kelly and best wishes for a fabulous and blessed year!
Thank you, Doreen! I’m so glad our paths crossed. I appreciate all your support over the past few years.