111 Day Artistic Spirit Pledge: Spiritual Growth Through Creative Expression
Day 45: Five Ways Art Can Help During Emotional or Spiritual Struggle
I’ve encountered my fair share of struggles over the course of my less than 40 years of life, and endured thanks largely in part to the creative arts. Here are just a few ways I found art helpful when dealing with emotional and spiritual struggles:
- Listen to music – Listen to an instrumental piece if you are highly stressed or play your favorite upbeat tune to give you some extra stimulation and motivation.
- Watch a movie that makes you smile – You’ve seen this film so many times that you can recite it almost word for word. If you close your eyes and merely listen, you can visualize what’s on screen without opening your eyes.
- Write, write, write – I don’t care if you jot down a string of nonsense or have a severe case of sentence fragmentitis. Just write! Let the thoughts flow from your pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) without editing as you go. Write in whatever style feels most comfortable in the moment. Start with journaling and end up writing dialogue. Write a vitriol-filled essay that turns into a social commentary play.
- Get crafty! – Make a necklace, knit a new scarf, paint a vivid picture, sculpt an addition to your pottery collection, etc. Create a work of art that brings you pleasure while keeping you active.
- Belief – Believe in yourself and in the significant role that art plays in your existence. Your artistic passion may not pay the bills right now, but its value has the ability to pay your back tenfold!
We all encounter challenges, hit roadblocks, and stumble over the course of our lives. Sometimes the effects are significant to the point of immobilization, and others are mere annoyances. When immersed in the negative emotions that seem to overwhelm the positive, concentrate on the impact that art can have in your life. And know that seeking help when needed can have a lasting positive influence on not only your emotional/spiritual growth but that of those around you.
*The suggestions above helped me, and I’m sharing them in the hope that they are useful to you, my blog followers. Do you have a suggestion that’s not on the above list? If so, please share it below in the Comments section – it may just help someone else!*
**I am an Artistic Spirit! For most of my life I’ve used the creative arts as a source of spiritual exploration and healing, even though I didn’t always do so consciously. Sometimes I was the instrument creating the art and other times I was on the receiving end. The connection between art and spirituality is so significant in my life that it’s infused into everything I do. I love music, theatre, television drama series (daytime and primetime), and creative writing and find fulfillment in artistic expression of various sorts: singing, acting, and jewelry design. Throughout the next 66 days, I’ll delve into how all of the above strengthens my spirit and has saved my life on more than one occasion.**